Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Product Reviews | Recipes | Home RSS

WV's Canada Goose Season opens Sept. 1

August 20, 2014
Ohio Valley Outdoors

SOUTH CHARLESTON, WV - West Virginia's 2014-2015 waterfowl seasons will begin statewide September 1, with the opening of the early Canada goose season, according to Curtis I. Taylor, Chief of the Wildlife Resources Section of the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (DNR). The early Canada goose season ends on September 13.

Shooting hours are one-half hour before sunrise until sunset. All other general waterfowl hunting regulations apply to the September season. Hunters must possess a federal waterfowl stamp and a free Migratory Bird Harvest Information Program (HIP) registration card in addition to a regular hunting license. HIP cards are free and available from DNR offices and all hunting license agents.

"Canada geese are found throughout West Virginia, but the largest concentrations are in the major river valleys where agriculture and suburban landscapes provide an abundance of open land," Taylor said. "Scouting is a key to success when it comes to goose hunting, as the birds quickly adapt to changing food sources or hunting pressure."

Article Photos

West Virginia's Canada goose season begins Sept. 1, 2014.

Locating geese the day before you plan to hunt should be a standard practice, Taylor advised. Loafing and roosting areas do not change frequently unless hunting pressure is heavy, but feeding areas can change on a daily basis. Hunters should also seek out hunting opportunities near towns and golf courses, as these areas may wish to have local goose populations reduced.

Because most goose hunting is found on private lands, it is important for hunters to maintain a good relationship with landowners. Some wildlife management areas also offer goose hunting and hunters should contact the appropriate DNR district office with questions about specific areas.

Waterfowl hunters are reminded of two important toll free numbers. Federal waterfowl stamps may be purchased with a credit card by calling 1-800-782-6724. Hunters who harvest a banded bird may call 1-800-327-2263 to report the bird and find out when and where it was banded. Banded birds may also be reported online at

Article Links



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web